Pages

Dinners

Easy Beef Stroganoff
Rating-* * * * * 
Whole Foods for the Whole Family pg. 163 Great dish. Stroganoff is a childhood comfort food. This whole food healthy recipe did not disappoint. I used Smart Taste Noodles to get more fiber in our meal. I doubled the onions and mushrooms. Next time I will add okra and zucchini at Lela's request. She loves this meal! And I used Fage 0 percent fat yogurt, as the yogurt. I excluded the catsup cause I do not like catsup in recipes like this. We also used portabello mushrooms cause they were the same price as button mushrooms at Aldi's. Over all we will be adding this to our rotation of dinners. Very good and every one loved it. So all 5 stars.

Bubble and Squeek
Rating- * * * * * 
Whole Foods for the Whole Family pg. 164. This was delicious! Next time I will double the cabbage and onion though. I did use a whole package of turkey sausage from Aldi's, so maybe just half a package next time. I loved the apple cider vinegar in it. I used Bragg's brand. And it was so so good. I didn't even have to add salt or pepper! This is for sure a winner. And so terribly easy, and affordable to boot! This will be going in our regular rotation of meals.

Joe's "Sorta Lasagna"

Rating-* * * * * 

Whole Foods for the Whole Family pg. 168. Awesome. A perfect meat Lasagna. Lela at thirds of it. So she really really liked it! We will be eating it again. It was a bit more time consuming then other recipes out of this book, but still worth it.

The calories listed in the recipe are steep. But, I probably brought them down, by using home made meat sauce. I used low fat turkey, tomato sauce that was just tomato sauce and made my own from scratch. I used honey in the tomato sauce to balance out the acid instead of sugar. I used Smart Taste for the Pasta which brought up the fiber and the calories down. And used lots of onions and added mushrooms too. I only used 8 oz of cheese instead of 12 oz called for in the recipe and I thought it was just fine. Also the recipe said serves 8 but that would be gigantic servings. I would say no less then 12 servings, if not 16! So over all I am thinking my personal serving from this was no more then 300 calories. Bringing it down to a much more reasonable count.

  Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment